How long do you think it will take for the S&P 500 to reach 4,000 or the Dow to reach 34,000? I started my career in finance back in 1986, when the S&P 500 index was under 300. Today, it crossed the 2,000 mark, which means that it has climbed nearly 700% and that doesn’t count […]
We are now past the halfway mark for 2014 and it’s time for a brief review of our investment and economic performance. At your leisure, check out my video commentary below. Halftime Investment & Economic Report Please email or call with any questions or comments you may have.
As the Dow nears hitting 17,000 after dropping to 6,626 back on March 2, 2009, you would think there would be mass euphoria and an upbeat feeling among you and your peers. Surprisingly, I don’t see or feel it. But, why is that? Shouldn’t everyone be feeling fantastic about their financial situation with such an incredible […]
We know department stores will have huge sales the day after Thanksgiving, but no one tells us when stock or bond prices are going on sale. Analysts are paid big money to try and predict investment (Stock & Bond) prices, but they are often wrong and much better at hindsight than forecasting. What we know… […]
Spring is finally upon us…well almost. Do you remember your childhood days where the weather was temperate enough that you could walk up to the local drug store (in my case Vallette Rexall Drug) with a dollar in your pocket? In the late 1970s you were able to purchase at least 4 jumbo candy bars […]
Your IRA or 401k is partially yours and partially the property of the IRS. Unfortunately, the IRS doesn’t tell you what they get until you make a withdrawal. RETIREMENT PLAN REALITY CHECK IRA Balance Marginal Tax Rates Yours […]
We all know that the U.S. Government is $17 trillion in debt and has made trillions of dollars in Entitlement promises for which it has no money to pay. Forgive me if I don’t trust politicians not to come after my hard earned income and savings with new or higher taxes in the future to […]
Last week, the stock market had its worst week in quite a while, including a 300 point sell off for the Dow. Is the next “correction“ finally underway for the market? When people talk to me about “the market,” why is it they usually mean the U.S. large company indexes? I guess they believe […]
In 2014, resolve not to “time the market”. “Time in the Market” is one key to long-term investment success. When you look at the chart below you will see just how bad retail (non-professional) investor’s performance is compared to what they could have made had they only been “buy and hold” investors. THE NUMBERS […]
I’ve got Christmas shopping bills coming due. How about you? Today, I will tell you how two simple tax strategies will save me $2,800 this year. They may work for you as well. The first will save me $1,000, the second will save $1,800 in income tax this year. Take 15 minutes at lunch today […]
- Money vs. Memories: The Cost of Being Too Frugal September 16, 2014
- Don’t Just Show Up September 12, 2014
- Tragedy in Our Community September 6, 2014
- Does the American Dream Make Cents? September 3, 2014
- Jack of Many Trades, Master of None…Completing a Triathlon August 29, 2014
- What Did You Pay For Your Kid’s College? Please Respond August 27, 2013
- Use Life Insurance for Long Term Care (if needed) December 5, 2011
- Is College Worth it Today? An Alternative Idea November 5, 2013
- Why Health Insurance is Not “Insurance” November 12, 2013
- Romney Wins – Then What? October 18, 2012
- Brad: Classic guy behavior for many of us....
- Mike Pensinger: I weirdly struggle with my frugality (cheapness) s...
- Dave Ogdon: Yikes Ann, Most of the 12 little known facts ar...
- Why CFP® Certification Matters | Life Planning Today: […] Who is Your Financial Planner? […]...
- Chicago Finances in BIG TROUBLE- The Blue State Reckoning | Life Planning Today: […] Free EBook – Pay Tax Once and be Done ...