In addition to Halloween, the month of October is known for creating spooks and scares among investors. When it comes to wealth suddenly disappearing, October can be quite frightful. The stock market crash of 1929 that led to the Great Depression occurred in October. So did the 22.6% plunge suffered by the Dow Jones industrial average in […]
As the Dow nears hitting 17,000 after dropping to 6,626 back on March 2, 2009, you would think there would be mass euphoria and an upbeat feeling among you and your peers. Surprisingly, I don’t see or feel it. But, why is that? Shouldn’t everyone be feeling fantastic about their financial situation with such an incredible […]
We know department stores will have huge sales the day after Thanksgiving, but no one tells us when stock or bond prices are going on sale. Analysts are paid big money to try and predict investment (Stock & Bond) prices, but they are often wrong and much better at hindsight than forecasting. What we know… […]
Last week, the stock market had its worst week in quite a while, including a 300 point sell off for the Dow. Is the next “correction“ finally underway for the market? When people talk to me about “the market,” why is it they usually mean the U.S. large company indexes? I guess they believe […]
In 2014, resolve not to “time the market”. “Time in the Market” is one key to long-term investment success. When you look at the chart below you will see just how bad retail (non-professional) investor’s performance is compared to what they could have made had they only been “buy and hold” investors. THE NUMBERS […]
The U.S. stock market just had a terrific first quarter. The S&P 500 index was up 10.0% over the past three months. My client portfolios were not up that much because they also own many other investment asset classes that didn’t advance nearly as much. For example, the bond market was flat for the quarter, […]
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (Dow) closed just above its peak 5 ½ years ago, but as you will see below much has changed over that time. The Last Time The Dow Was Here (Oct. 2007) vs. Today: Dow Jones Industrial Average: Then 14164.5; Now 14253 Regular Gas Price: Then $2.75; Now $3.73 GDP […]
Avoiding life’s big financial planning mistakes is not hard if you plan well. Financial planning, however, takes a backseat to day-to-day living for many people and this is where the potential problems creep in. Here is a list of five key planning issues that everyone should address: 1. Not Enough Liquid Savings Having plenty […]
Fiscal Cliff – Republican’s Punt to the Democrats House Speaker Boehner called off a vote on a Bill that would have maintained most of the current tax rates (except for $1 million wage earners). Apparently, it may not have had enough votes to pass. Fiscally conservative House members are not planning to vote for a […]
Well the first several days after the election has seen the stock market drop by five percent, leaving those that follow our nation’s fiscal situation feeling uneasy. I feel the same way as I have been yelling from the tallest tower (or at least my weekly blog) that our government spending is out of control […]
- Loving More Effectively November 18, 2014
- Fictitious Balance on Your 401k/IRA Account Statement November 11, 2014
- Post 2014 Election Expectations November 5, 2014
- 10 Outstanding Ways to Save $$$ October 30, 2014
- Does 4% Retirement Rule Make Sense For You Today? October 22, 2014
- What Did You Pay For Your Kid’s College? Please Respond August 27, 2013
- Use Life Insurance for Long Term Care (if needed) December 5, 2011
- Romney Wins – Then What? October 18, 2012
- Is College Worth it Today? An Alternative Idea November 5, 2013
- Perks of Getting Older June 19, 2013
- Rob Wyant: Brad. Thank you for sharing. Excellent book and ...
- Mike Pensinger: I explain to clients the *hope* is that you'll be...
- Brad Rosley: Be happy with what you have. Count your blessings ...
- Mike Pensinger: Wow! I knew we are extremely lucky to be living i...
- Scott Blumenshine: Wow. Good information to keep things in perspectiv...