Last week, the stock market had its worst week in quite a while, including a 300 point sell off for the Dow. Is the next “correction“ finally underway for the market? When people talk to me about “the market,” why is it they usually mean the U.S. large company indexes? I guess they believe […]
In 2014, resolve not to “time the market”. “Time in the Market” is one key to long-term investment success. When you look at the chart below you will see just how bad retail (non-professional) investor’s performance is compared to what they could have made had they only been “buy and hold” investors. THE NUMBERS […]
The U.S. stock market just had a terrific first quarter. The S&P 500 index was up 10.0% over the past three months. My client portfolios were not up that much because they also own many other investment asset classes that didn’t advance nearly as much. For example, the bond market was flat for the quarter, […]
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (Dow) closed just above its peak 5 ½ years ago, but as you will see below much has changed over that time. The Last Time The Dow Was Here (Oct. 2007) vs. Today: Dow Jones Industrial Average: Then 14164.5; Now 14253 Regular Gas Price: Then $2.75; Now $3.73 GDP […]
Avoiding life’s big financial planning mistakes is not hard if you plan well. Financial planning, however, takes a backseat to day-to-day living for many people and this is where the potential problems creep in. Here is a list of five key planning issues that everyone should address: 1. Not Enough Liquid Savings Having plenty […]
Fiscal Cliff – Republican’s Punt to the Democrats House Speaker Boehner called off a vote on a Bill that would have maintained most of the current tax rates (except for $1 million wage earners). Apparently, it may not have had enough votes to pass. Fiscally conservative House members are not planning to vote for a […]
Well the first several days after the election has seen the stock market drop by five percent, leaving those that follow our nation’s fiscal situation feeling uneasy. I feel the same way as I have been yelling from the tallest tower (or at least my weekly blog) that our government spending is out of control […]
- Why Retirees Would Want Life Insurance April 22, 2014
- What’s your Tax Freedom Day? April 15, 2014
- What are Some Measures You Can Take to Protect Against Inflation? April 11, 2014
- Coming to Grips With One’s Own Mortality April 8, 2014
- “Cameron Frye, This One’s for You!” March 31, 2014
- What Did You Pay For Your Kid’s College? Please Respond August 27, 2013
- Romney Wins – Then What? October 18, 2012
- Is College Worth it Today? An Alternative Idea November 5, 2013
- Why Health Insurance is Not “Insurance” November 12, 2013
- Perks of Getting Older June 19, 2013
- One Step Toward Affordable Healthcare for Startups (and the Rest of Us): […] a comprehensive health plan isn’t insu...
- Chris Flohr: Thanks for the great blog post! Dealing with the ...
- Brad Rosley: Glad you like it, thanks for sharing....
- Deanna: This blog is not only inspirational but also passe...
- Carole: Heya! I'm at work surfing around ylur blog from m...