Over the past several years, most of the clients that I have advised to purchase life insurance are retired and have no dependent need. The insurance has greatly helped their retirement spending and legacy plan. The only thing that would have been better is if they would have had the foresight to procure the permanent […]
Turn $500/Year into $500,000! I recently created Roth IRA’s for my kids and put $500 into each account. With a little guidance from me, the kids will each choose to become stock owners of one company. Going forward I will encourage them to save by matching what they contribute to the account and am hopeful […]
Illinois is Similar to Greece – Broke Illinois is like Greece in one obvious way: It over promised and under delivered on pensions and has little appetite for dealing with the problem. Illinois, with a population of 13 million (Greece has 11 million, though a far smaller GDP than Illinois), has the most underfunded retirement […]
Your account balance carries a hidden surrender charge. Millions of working Americans contribute a percentage of their earnings to a 401k account while many also have IRA accounts, most of which were formerly 401k that were rolled over to IRA’s. While some people follow the daily moves of their account balances, other wait patiently for […]
The most important and anxious questions I answer for my clients are: “How much money will I have at retirement and will that be enough to live on? Of course, there are many variables in that calculation, one of the biggest is choosing an amount to withdraw from your investment nest egg every year. Many […]
The idea of “retiring” is relatively new in this country’s history. It was created by financial institutions about 70 years ago after social security was first set up to transition aging, unproductive workers out of hard labor jobs (making room for younger workers) during the Industrial Revolution. Did you know Social Security was created in […]
If you have a desire to leave money for your spouse or kids, life insurance is the best asset to leave them. Notice I said “asset,” not “investment.” At death, don’t investments morph into just another asset? I think so and I try to convey this to my clients. Life insurance is not an investment, […]
Q. When Should Your Kids Start Their Financial Planning? A. As soon as they have a job. WHEN DID YOU START SERIOUSLY PLANNING AND SAVING? Please share when you started in the reply area below article. One of the biggest regrets many of my new clients share with me is that they wish they […]
Great News: We have weathered the storm of the Great Recession of 2008 and 2009! Cautionary News: The possibilities for you to experience losses in your retirement portfolio due to factors that affect the overall performance of the financial markets continue to exist. This risk, defined as MARKET or SYSTEMATIC RISK IS VERY REAL. As […]
BETTER HAVE MORE MONEY Great news: people are living longer and healthier lives than ever before! Bad news: this means we need more money to allow for those additional years. It would be much easier to plan if we all knew the age at which we would die and worked backward from there. LONGEVITY RISK IS […]
- Is a Private Pension in Your Future? February 24, 2015
- Life Insurance Key to Retirement Spending and Legacy Plan February 17, 2015
- One Powerful Financial Move for Kids (or Grand-kids) February 10, 2015
- Life Without the Wife February 3, 2015
- Illinois and Greece, Two of a Kind? January 28, 2015
- Shut Up and Take My Money January 13, 2015
- What Did You Pay For Your Kid’s College? Please Respond August 27, 2013
- Use Life Insurance for Long Term Care (if needed) December 5, 2011
- Is College Worth it Today? An Alternative Idea November 5, 2013
- “Cameron Frye, This One’s for You!” March 31, 2014
- Is a Private Pension in Your Future? | Life Planning Today: […] is that you leave nothing from the money...
- One Powerful Financial Move for Kids | Life Planning Today: […] Take Advantage of Tax-free Roth IRA [...
- Illinois and Greece, Two of a Kind? | Life Planning Today: […] Chicago Finances in BIG TROUBLE- The Blu...
- The Real State of the Union | Life Planning Today: […] Unworkable Obamacare […]...
- The Real State of the Union | Life Planning Today: […] Economic & Investment Review […...