Over the past several years, most of the clients that I have advised to purchase life insurance are retired and have no dependent need. The insurance has greatly helped their retirement spending and legacy plan. The only thing that would have been better is if they would have had the foresight to procure the permanent […]
Illinois is Similar to Greece – Broke Illinois is like Greece in one obvious way: It over promised and under delivered on pensions and has little appetite for dealing with the problem. Illinois, with a population of 13 million (Greece has 11 million, though a far smaller GDP than Illinois), has the most underfunded retirement […]
I’ve written about Health Savings Accounts (HSA) in the past (Are You Missing Out? – 23,000 Reasons I Love My Health Savings Account (HSA)) as being one of my favorite and most important accounts in my financial plan. With the high deductible, “Bronze” option being the most affordable choice under Obamacare, HSA’s have grown in […]
Most of my clients tell me this isn’t true, because they pay their card balance off in full each month. I say, “That’s part of the problem!” We all have a propensity to spend up to what we know we can afford to pay off each month. Those that carry and grow their balances […]
Your account balance carries a hidden surrender charge. Millions of working Americans contribute a percentage of their earnings to a 401k account while many also have IRA accounts, most of which were formerly 401k that were rolled over to IRA’s. While some people follow the daily moves of their account balances, other wait patiently for […]
The most important and anxious questions I answer for my clients are: “How much money will I have at retirement and will that be enough to live on? Of course, there are many variables in that calculation, one of the biggest is choosing an amount to withdraw from your investment nest egg every year. Many […]
“The Talk” I’m not referring to “the talk” with your teenage children about sex, but rather the “parent and adult children talk” about the parent’s estate plan. Have you had this conversation? Most people have not. My sister Lori is coming to town this weekend from Washington for a high school reunion and we are finally […]
This past week we have experienced a tragedy in our neighborhood and the Elmhurst community. On August 30th we lost the lives of four beautiful individuals; Frank Stack (82), Joan Stack (82), Mary Stack (57) and Frank Stack Jr. (48). Newspaper story. The true question is not how this tragedy played out, but WHY. I […]
60. The minutes in an hour, the year JFK was elected as president, the millions Joakim Noah is paid in his 5 year contract with the Chicago Bulls, and the percent of Americans who have admitted to not having a personal financial budget (NFCC survey). Oddly enough, 100 million U.S. adults have also admitted that not having […]
Would an extra $60,000+ annual bill create a problem with your retirement plan? Your portfolio can be depleted rapidly when a spouse or parent is in need of care if the potential cost is not accounted for in your retirement planning. The perception is that, “I am healthy right now and I won’t ever need care.” The reality […]
- “Return on Life” March 25, 2015
- All You Have To Do Is Ask March 17, 2015
- Super Strong Dollar Not Good for Foreign Investments March 12, 2015
- Is Ignorance Bliss? March 3, 2015
- Is a Private Pension in Your Future? February 24, 2015
- Shut Up and Take My Money January 13, 2015
- Use Life Insurance for Long Term Care (if needed) December 5, 2011
- What Did You Pay For Your Kid’s College? Please Respond August 27, 2013
- Why Health Insurance is Not “Insurance” November 12, 2013
- Is College Worth it Today? An Alternative Idea November 5, 2013
- Brad Rosley: It's not hard. It's free to set up via wordpress...
- Bless Jerusalem Today: Hi there excellent blog! Does running a blog simil...
- Is a Private Pension in Your Future? | Life Planning Today: […] is that you leave nothing from the money...
- One Powerful Financial Move for Kids | Life Planning Today: […] Take Advantage of Tax-free Roth IRA [...
- Illinois and Greece, Two of a Kind? | Life Planning Today: […] Chicago Finances in BIG TROUBLE- The Blu...