There are many reasons people choose not to ask for help, whether it be pride, stubbornness, procrastination, not knowing who to ask, etc. Recently, an acquaintance of our family stopped by my office unannounced. He was visibly shaken. He shared his most personal financial issues with me. He told me he had made some poor […]
I thought you may be interested to know how a 25-year financial planning expert goes about planning for financial success in the New Year. I’d like to think I live a balanced lifestyle, enjoying life today while saving for an uncertain tomorrow. My peace of mind starts with a detailed analysis of where I am […]
Most of my clients tell me this isn’t true, because they pay their card balance off in full each month. I say, “That’s part of the problem!” We all have a propensity to spend up to what we know we can afford to pay off each month. Those that carry and grow their balances […]
Your account balance carries a hidden surrender charge. Millions of working Americans contribute a percentage of their earnings to a 401k account while many also have IRA accounts, most of which were formerly 401k that were rolled over to IRA’s. While some people follow the daily moves of their account balances, other wait patiently for […]
You have many options to fix up your finances, but these will have a significant impact: Cut your housing costs. These add up to about 33% of the average family’s budget. Refinance your mortgage to a lower interest rate if possible, increase the deductible on your home insurance, even consider moving to a location with […]
When planning your finances, you need to consider all the elements and situations that may impact the success of your plan. Will your children be attending college? What is your retirement age? Do you expect to switch careers in the near future? Are you planning on downsizing? Those are just a few questions to get you thinking as […]
Roth vs. Traditional IRA 8 Important Comparisons Deciding which retirement account type may fit your needs is an important step in retirement planning. The comparisons below provide an overview of the differences between the Traditional and Roth IRAs which may be a good resource for you. Remember…the Contribution Deadline for the 2013 Tax Year is […]
We all know that the U.S. Government is $17 trillion in debt and has made trillions of dollars in Entitlement promises for which it has no money to pay. Forgive me if I don’t trust politicians not to come after my hard earned income and savings with new or higher taxes in the future to […]
Last week, the stock market had its worst week in quite a while, including a 300 point sell off for the Dow. Is the next “correction“ finally underway for the market? When people talk to me about “the market,” why is it they usually mean the U.S. large company indexes? I guess they believe […]
In 2014, resolve not to “time the market”. “Time in the Market” is one key to long-term investment success. When you look at the chart below you will see just how bad retail (non-professional) investor’s performance is compared to what they could have made had they only been “buy and hold” investors. THE NUMBERS […]
- “Return on Life” March 25, 2015
- All You Have To Do Is Ask March 17, 2015
- Super Strong Dollar Not Good for Foreign Investments March 12, 2015
- Is Ignorance Bliss? March 3, 2015
- Is a Private Pension in Your Future? February 24, 2015
- Shut Up and Take My Money January 13, 2015
- Use Life Insurance for Long Term Care (if needed) December 5, 2011
- What Did You Pay For Your Kid’s College? Please Respond August 27, 2013
- Why Health Insurance is Not “Insurance” November 12, 2013
- Is College Worth it Today? An Alternative Idea November 5, 2013
- Brad Rosley: It's not hard. It's free to set up via wordpress...
- Bless Jerusalem Today: Hi there excellent blog! Does running a blog simil...
- Is a Private Pension in Your Future? | Life Planning Today: […] is that you leave nothing from the money...
- One Powerful Financial Move for Kids | Life Planning Today: […] Take Advantage of Tax-free Roth IRA [...
- Illinois and Greece, Two of a Kind? | Life Planning Today: […] Chicago Finances in BIG TROUBLE- The Blu...