“I don’t really care” is my first response to many questions these days. Like the book, “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff”, right now, due to a medical issue in my family, almost everything seems like “small or unimportant stuff”. Why does it take a situation where someone in your immediate family has a major issue […]
About Brad RosleyBrad Rosley, CFP®, is the founder and President of FFG which opened in Glen Ellyn, Illinois in 1996. He has been a Certified Financial Planner since 1990 and helping individuals with their financial decisions for over 25 years. Ask Brad your financial and investment questions!
Part 2. of 2. Individual Investors Left alone, many individual investors are horrible at timing the market. Instead of “buying low and selling high” people tend to do the opposite. The proof is in the chart below: The terrible investor results are terrifically poor. This chart reflects the results of purchases and redemptions from stock […]
Part 1 of 2 on Investing: Active vs. passive investing For this article the passive approach will be reflected by the S&P 500 stock index. Understanding the differences: It’s easy to get caught up in the Wall Street hype about which investment approach is better. My friends at Frank Russell Investments provided a good description […]
“Marry a woman more frugal then you,” is great advice from one of my favorite books, The Millionaire Next Door. As some guys will tell you, it’s a lot easier said then done. For those guys that have married a frugal woman, money is usually not a problem in their marriage. With my clients, when […]
Last week our family embarked on yet another Spring Break vacation. We packed our luggage (mainly beach wear) and five bodies into our 2004 Toyota Sienna (154,000 miles and counting) for a long drive. This year’s last minute idea was to go to Naples and then Marco Island. Sunshine and warm weather was only 1,360 […]
We have all heard the phrase “return on investment” and that is measurable, but have you ever considered what your “return on life” (ROL) was in the past year? I recently read a blog discussing the “Return on Life” concept and describing the 6 core values a GOOD financial planner provides. It referenced an industry […]
There are many reasons people choose not to ask for help, whether it be pride, stubbornness, procrastination, not knowing who to ask, etc. Recently, an acquaintance of our family stopped by my office unannounced. He was visibly shaken. He shared his most personal financial issues with me. He told me he had made some poor […]
Many investors have a slice of their investments in international stock mutual funds. That is part of a diversified plan. True diversification is built by owning assets that move in different directions. We tend to not focus on the why’s, but rather look at the bottom line, “did I make money?” Don’t react to short-term […]
This year for Lent I gave up Fox News. If you are an avid news watcher, you may want to try this too. “Out of sight” really does lead to ” out of mind.” Fox generally provides me with all the current news and a ton of commentary from both sides of the political aisle […]
With CD’s paying next to nothing, we need some creative ideas to generate more income during retirement… Most of us have a notion on what a “pension” is, as you or someone you know may be fortunate enough to have one. A pension is a stream of payments for a specified period of time. As […]
- What Matters Most April 29, 2015
- Left Alone, Many Individuals Are Horrible Investors April 22, 2015
- And the Winner is? Active vs. Passive Investing April 21, 2015
- Money and Marriage April 14, 2015
- Mini Van Beats Jet for Family Time April 8, 2015
- Shut Up and Take My Money January 13, 2015
- What Did You Pay For Your Kid’s College? Please Respond August 27, 2013
- Use Life Insurance for Long Term Care (if needed) December 5, 2011
- Perks of Getting Older June 19, 2013
- “Cameron Frye, This One’s for You!” March 31, 2014
- Mike Pensinger: It's studies like this that emphasize the importa...
- Brad Rosley: Hi Victor, glad you liked it. sign up for the week...
- Victor Rojas: Brad Excellent post, I'll follow your technique ...
- Brad Rosley: Thanks for sharing Steve. I learned quite a bit fr...
- Steve Groenier: Great story Brad. I remember road trips with my fa...